ALTE Associate Membership is open to institutions (or consortia) which are involved in the development, application, administration or research of language testing. These may be companies, chains of language schools, independent language schools, universities, research institutions, technology providers, etc. They are not full members, and the quality of their tests cannot be guaranteed. However, they aspire to meet high standards of quality in language assessment.
Associate Membership status was known as 'Institutional Affiliation' before 2021.
Benefits of becoming an Associate Member include:
In order to be an Associate Member, institutions must:
Procedure to become an Associate Member
1. Complete the online ALTE Associate Member application form (see link at the bottom of the page), which asks you for information about your institution, its history and current interests, its work in relation to language testing, and the areas you hope to develop in the future through to your participation in ALTE.
2. Associate Membership application forms are reviewed quarterly by the ALTE Secretariat and representatives from the ALTE Board of Trustees. Please submit your application by the "Closing Date for Applications" below in order to be notified whether your application has been successful by the corresponding "Date of Notification". If your application is successful, you should sign the Associate Member Agreement by the "Deadline to return Agreement" in the third column. The date and amount (either full or half - see point 4 below) of the first invoice for the subscription fee is also shown.
|Closing Date for Applications||Date of Notification||
Deadline to return Agreement
|Month of first invoice||Amount of first invoice|
|31 December 2021||
11 February 2022
|12 March 2022||March 2022||
Full amount for 2022
|31 March 2022||
12 May 2022
|10 June 2022||June 2022||
Half amount for 2022
|30 June 2022||
11 August 2022
|9 September 2022||September 2022||
Half amount for 2022
|30 September 2022||
11 November 2022
|9 December 2022||January 2023||
Full amount for 2023
|31 December 2022||
10 February 2023
|11 March 2023||March 2023||
Full amount for 2023
3. If the Board accepts your institution, you will be asked to complete and sign the ALTE Associate Membership agreement. This must be done within 4 weeks of being notified that the institution has been accepted as an Associate Member, according to the deadline above (third column). Failing to send the Associate Membership Agreement signed in time, will result in restarting the procedure of the application for associate membership. If you would like to examine the Membership Agreement in advance, please contact the ALTE Secretariat.
4. Upon receipt of the Associate Membership Agreement, duly completed and signed by the legal representative of the institution, the Secretariat will issue an invoice during the "Month of first invoice" (fourth column above) to pay the annual subscription fee. For Associate Members who are invoiced in June or later, a 'half amount' will be invoiced. Thereafter, the full subscription fee is payable at the beginning of each calendar year. The current subscription fees for Associate Members (2022) are:
|Category A (Half amount - new Associate Members invoiced in June or later in the year, for first year only)||€250|
|Category B (Half amount - new Associate Members invoiced in June or later in the year, for first year only)||€100|
There are two payment tiers for Associate Members. Most institutions will fall within Category A. However, if you are a small independent language school (not part of a chain) OR small business that produces in-house assessments only for a limited number of test-takers in one location, OR another sort of institution with a small scale remit, then you may be eligible for Category B. If you feel your institution should be considered for a Category B fee, please state this in the relevant place on the Associate Member application form, and the Board of Trustees will work with you to determine if this is the case. The Board's decision on whether you fall into Category B is final.
5. The annual fee must be paid timely according to the terms of the invoice. Delays in payment may affect your membership with ALTE and/or your chances of being re-accepted in the future.
Note: transfer of membership is not usually permitted - but see the Rules on Transfer of Membership.
Please note that by completing the ALTE Associate Membership application form you are agreeing for ALTE to view, use and process all data you input, which may include personal data, and for ALTE to store this data to process your application and, if your application is successful, keep on file for the duration of time that you are an ALTE Member.